Get To Know Me...

Monday, September 7, 2009

Kind strangers

This morning, after glumly noticing that I was out of coffee, I decided to stop by Starbucks on my way home for Labor Day. At the last minute, I decided instead to go to Dunkin Donuts, because it's right next door and I wouldn't have to back track. Upon driving into the plaza, I was second guessing my last minute choice of Dunkin Donuts, but proceeded in anyway. As I approached the counter, I was greeted with "Hello! What would you like this morning?" and a humongous smile. "Um... a medium coffee" was my timid reply. We exhanged a few polite words while he was getting everything together. Upon taking my receipet, he gave me another face-eating smile and said, "Here you are and have a blessed day!" I was completely taken aback by the sincerity in his parting comment. I could truly tell that he wanted me to have a blessed day. As I was exiting the Dunkin Donuts, I, too, had a big smile across my face. His happiness and sincerity was contagious, and all day long I've been in a wonderful mood.

I want to be that kind of person. I make a feeble attempt to be that kind of person. I want to improve someone's day with just a smile and a few kind, meaningful words. You don't have to say a lot, but you have to truly mean what you say. This Dunkin Donuts boy inspired me. He inspired me to spread my happiness to others, to people who might be having a difficult day.


Thank you, kind stranger. You've made my day wonderful and full of smiles. I plan on meeting again.

No comments: