Get To Know Me...

Monday, August 31, 2009

There's no place like home.

My goal is to go home every other weekend. To see my family and to go to my church. This past weekend was my first scheduled weekend home.

Saturday night my brother, a friend of his, and a friend of mine saw the latest Quentin Tarantino film, "Inglorious Basterds." I was really shocked at how much really I enjoyed this movie. I don't like blood, gore, or war movies in general- you can ask any of my friends or family. However, Tarantino's depiction of blood and gore in this movie were both done artistically not grotesquely, so I wasn't as bothered as I could have been. It also helps that, as devastating and horrifying as it was, I've always found the story of the Holocaust to be interesting. Also, the plot was AMAZING. I was hanging onto every word. It was a rather long movie and I had to force myself to leave the theater to use the restroom. There were some subtitles, and at times, I think they can get pretty annyoing, but they didn't bother me once in this movie. So, overall I really enjoyed this movie, and I can see myself watching it many more times in the future.

Sunday's church service was a dreary affair. Normally my young pastor, he's 26, is very energetic, entertaining, and humorous. But this Sunday, as he got up to welcome us, I could tell something was wrong. He delievered a few announcments then we had worship. As he was beginning his sermon, he mentioned that he had a really difficult week. His son, who's only seven months old, was hospitalized early in the weekend and he was having serious family issues. As he was speaking about his family, he just broke down and started sobbing. His mother went to the front of the church and they were hugging and crying. It was one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed in my entire life. My pastor has done so much for our church and he's so appreciated, and seeing him in such pain was almost unbearable. Most of the congregation was crying, mourning for our pastor. It was a somber service, much different than what I'm used to.


Tomorrow promises to be a busy day: another job search, completing my small pile of homework, grocery shopping, a meeting with Outlanders, aka CAMPING CLUB- so excited!, and ice cream with my roommates!

Goodnight, moon.

No comments: