Get To Know Me...

Sunday, July 12, 2009

something wicked this way comes

Harry Potter has been on my mind and consuming my life for the past week. Even as I write this, I'm halfway watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I've been attempting to watch a movie a day, but it hasn't really worked out so well- I'm 1 1/2 behind- and I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince(for the sixth time, I believe) all in preparation for tomorrow night at 11:59pm, when the movie is released.

It all started when my mom bought me Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone waaaay back in 1998. I was a young eleven-years-old and had no idea what this series would mean to me as I grew older. As more and more books were released, I fell more and more in love with the characters of Harry Potter. I saw the movies, I read the books multiple times, I read theories, I cried, I laughed, I even took a class specializing in Harry Potter- Special Themes in Literature. My finishing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (14 hours) was a bittersweet occasion, on the one hand I had been waiting nine years for the result of the book, and on the other hand I had been waiting NINE YEARS, my childhood. After I finished the book I was at a loss, I didn't know what to do. I grew up alongside the characters and they all meant so much to me, it was hard to believe that I could no longer look forward to reading about their latest journeys.

As the release of the final seventh film(s) loom nearer, I'm kind of worried. Harry Potter was my childhood, and it has been a major part of my life for an extreme 11 years. The release of these movies are going to be the end of my childhood, even though I'll probably be 22 and my childhood would have ended many years ago. I will have the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios to look forward to, but it's nothing like the excitement and anticipation that the books and movies have brought me, especially after I go there a few dozen times. Still, I believe the magical world of Harry Potter will continue to be a major part of my life for many years to come.

No comments: