Get To Know Me...

Saturday, October 3, 2009

life update

I'm considering dropping my English Writing minor. I don't want to, but I noticed that I've started dedicating more time on my stories and memoirs compared to my assignments that I really need to be focusing on. The ones that are dedicated toward my understanding of how to develop the minds of young children. That's sort of scary and I decided that it's not worth it. I'm going to speak with my advisor Wednesday about another minor I could pursue, because I want to get a minor. There's a non-profit minor, but it requires an internship and I already have two internships for education. There's an international studies minor that I've considered, because I would like to work with children internationally, specifically Africa. This minor dilemma has started making me feel anxious. Once I speak with my advisor, hopefully I will feel more at ease.

I have orientation at Kohl's on Wednesday. I've been looking for a job since July, and it's such a relief to (possibly) have one again. It's a seasonal job and there's probably not much chance of them keeping me on after the holidays are over. I'm worried about keeping up with my schoolwork along with working fifteen to twenty hours a week. I don't have class on Tuesday or Thursday's, but that's when I get most of my schoolwork done. I guess that's going to change. I want to start volunteering, as well. I want to get more involved. It's about time I start sleeping less and being completely overwhelmed with everything, hah. :(

There's this thing called "Alternative Spring Break" that I'm considering doing. During spring break, I will be sent to one of five or six locations around the south- Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, etc- and spend the week doing volunteer work. It sounds like a really nice time.  I like dedicating my time to help others, but I honestly don't make enough attempt to do it more often.

I need to make friends here in Orlando. Both Lauryn and Michelle went home last week and I had a pretty awful Saturday night. I don't like being alone. I like humans. I like interaction. Even if it's sitting around doing nothing. Even if it's with people I don't know. I need community.

I started going to a church called Anthem, and even though I go by myself, I feel at home. Everyone is so kind and warm. They have a "college group" Tuesday nights and I'd like to go to that one night, but other activities keep getting in my way.

Okay, this was another attempt at procrastination. I have an assignment and powerpoint to work on.

No comments: